- "I know about lonely. With Mom and Dad away so much or moving us from city to city, it's hard to make friends. Aww... It's almost impossible to keep them. I suppose that's why Josh and I have always been so close; we've had no one else. My best friend, Elle, is in New York. We talk on the phone all the time, and e-mail and chat on IM, but I haven't seen her since Christmas."
- — Sophie Newman while talking with Scathach about her lifestyle in The Magician
|Aliases & Nicknames||Soph|
|Age (Circ. 2012)||15.5|
|Born||Ostensibly 21 December 1991
Actually over 1,000 years ago
|Official Date of Death||Unknown|
|True Date of Death||Unknown|
|Mentor||Zephaniah, Hekate, Comte de Saint-Germain|
|Allies/Alignment||Nicholas Flamel, Perenelle Flamel, Josh Newman, Scathach, Prometheus, Aoife, Joan of Arc, Comte de Saint-Germain, William Shakespeare, Palamedes, Gilgamesh, Tsagaglalal|
|Parents|| Richard Newman (Non-biological father)
Sara Newman (Non-biological mother]]
|Other Relatives||Josh Newman (Non-biological "twin" brother)|
In the first book, Sophie Newman's powers were Awakened by Hekate (A 10,000 year old Elder, known in humani history as the goddess of magic and witchcraft, who sided with the humani), and she is trained in the use of the Air Magic by The Witch of Endor. The witch also imparts all of her knowledge and memories to Sophie during the process. Throughout the rest of the books, Sophie is taught Fire Magic by Saint-Germain, Water Magic by Gilgamesh, and Earth Magic by Tsagaglalal. Sophie was also taught to channel the Witch's memories by Joan of Arc.
Sophie was raised by Sara and Richard Newman as their own child, but is stunned to discover at the end of the series that she and Josh are not twins, yet they have the same ancestor, and not the true son or daughter of Isis and Osiris. She is told that she was born in the 9th or 10th century on the Russian steppes, where survival was considered low. When Isis and Osiris went searching for a child with a pure silver aura, they found her. They bundled her up and took her to a shadowrealm where time did not pass (Josh was already there). They then later brought the twins into the 21st century, and raised them for what was to come, which is stated in the Codex. Ironically, this means that Josh is actually the elder sibling rather than Sophie.
Powers & Abilities
- Superhuman Senses: Sophie's post-awakened senses display a supernatural level of acuity.
- Aura Manipulation: She is able to use her Aura to create a suit of solid, silver armour over her body.
- Knowledge and Memories: Sophie has access to almost all of Zephaniah memories and experiences.
- Aeromancy: Masters of air can greatly compress and decompress air. Air can be manipulated to form tornadoes, walls, and shields. Highly pressurized air can be shaped into blades, orbs, blasts, and explosions.
- Exnomophis: Masters of air can alter the balance of the components that make up air.
- Flight: Masters of air can fly by manipulating air currents.
- Manipulation of Weather: Masters of air can create powerful tornadoes, hurricanes, twisters, whirlwinds etc.
- Thermokinesis: Masters of air can change the temperature of air, either freezing it or heating it to extreme temperatures.
- Typhokinesis: Masters of air can manipulate air particulates, such as smoke, mist, and clouds.
- Lithomancy: Masters of earth can create, form, and move earth at will.
- Phytokinesis: Masters of earth can create and manipulate earth-based life, such as plants.
- Thermokinesis: Masters of earth can manipulate the temperature of earth, causing it to boil and turn into a molten state.
- Transmutation: Masters of earth can alter the composition of earth.
- Healing: Masters of fire can heal certain types of wounds with fire by fusing and reforming tissue.
- Pyromancy: Masters of fire can create, extinguish, manipulate, move, and throw fire. Fire can be formed into shapes.
- Thermokinesis: Masters of fire can greatly heat an object or enemy with a touch.
- Welding: Masters of fire can melt and fuse stone, metal, and many other substances.
- Hydromancy: Masters of water can create, move, and shape water into nearly any shape or form imaginable.
- Manipulation of Bodies of Water: Masters of water can manipulate rivers and oceans, such as impacting tidal currents, causing floods, and creating waves.
- Thermokinesis: Masters of water can manipulate the temperature of water, causing it to boil or freeze.
- Weather Manipulation: Masters of water can create rain, clouds, and storms.