Nicholas Flamel was born in 1330, as a bookseller and owned and ran two shops in Paris, France. He lived an ordinary life, until one day he bought a metal-bound book, in which the letters seemed to be in different languages and physically shifted. Nicholas and his wife, Perenelle Flamel (who is 10 years older than Nicholas), then trekked across Europe to decode the mysterious book, which they soon found out to be The Book of Abraham the Mage, a.k.a the Codex. Nicholas studied alchemy, and had a talent for it, whereas he lacked much abilities in other areas of the arcane knowledge (necromancy, sorcery, etc.). Perenelle, though, was extraordinary in those areas, and became an exceedingly powerful sorceress with an ice white aura. Flamel's aura is green and smells of "sharp mint". Then they finally decoded the Codex, him and Perenelle discovered a recipe for eternal life, known as The Elixir of Life. Every month, the Flamels must drink the elixir. As the recipe for the Elixir changes constantly, the Flamels must have the Codex in order to stay immortal. After the month passes, if they have not drank another elixir, they will age a year every day until either they drink another portion of the elixir or they die. The use of their auras will make them age faster. If they try to use the same recipe more than once, it will speed up the aging process. Later in their lives they met John Dee, who at the time was one of the Queen of England's top advisors, and took him up as an apprentice. Unfortunately, one night he was led to the top of the Notre Dame Cathedral and was convinced by The Morrigan, a Next Generation Dark Elder. to join the Dark Elder's cause. Nicholas and Perenelle were forced to fake their own deaths in 1418 when Dee attempted to assassinate them. Throughout the rest of their lives, Dee continuously attempted to kill them, releasing a Fire Elemental on them which caused the Great Fire of London in 1666 and then sending the Wights of Hunger and Disease to kill them in Ireland. When that failed, the Wights wrecked havoc on Ireland and all of its people.
Powers & Abilities
Nicholas Flamel has powerful magical abilities, but is feeble compared to his wife. He, however, has much Alchemical knowledge and is considered to be the greatest Alchemist of all time. Some of his powers include the following:
- Matter Manipulation: The primary power of Alchemy, he is able to move, bend, alter, and change any form of molecule, atom, gene, and cell in any manner he chooses, such as turning stone into gold.
- Aura Manipulation: He is able to project and manipulate energy for several purposes, such as shooting energy spears.
- Animal Manipulation: He is able to see through the eyes of an animal, such as in The Enchantress where he flies a parrot to Alcatraz.
- Chlorokinesis: He was able to create several vines of wood and plants to cover the entire wall of a building.
- Immortality: Due to the Elixir of Life, he is ageless and virtually immortal.
- Intangibility: He was able to phase one object inside another.
- Multilingual: He is fluent in several different languages.