Krakatoa (Indonesian "Krakatau") was a supervolcano off the coast of Indonesia on the island of Rakata. It is also the name of the volcanic island made of lava in the Sunda Strait between the islands of Java and Sumatra in Indonesia where the volcano is.
In the Series
While Krakatoa never makes an appearance in the series, it was mentioned by Prometheus while talking to his niece, Aoife, about the last time he saw her was on the volcano, defending her from a group of Nagas (Dragon), that were inhabiting the island around 1883, Josh remembers that his parents went to Krakatoa for a summer while he and Sophie were ten.
- The actual eruption of Krakatoa was in 1883.
- The eruption was so powerful that it blew the island on itself apart.
- The blast was so loud, that it could be heard over 3,000 miles away.
- A Pyroclastic flow washed over a nearby island.
- With a Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI) of 6, the eruption was equivalent to 200 megatons of TNT (840 PJ) – about 13,000 times the nuclear yield of the Little Boy bomb (13 to 16 kt) that devastated Hiroshima, Japan, during World War II and four times the yield of the Tsar Bomb (50 Mt) (the largest nuclear device ever detonated)
- The eruption of Krakatoa make the Tsunami in Sumatra, Java and South Africa
- The ash from eruption preclude the sunlight that make temperature in the Earth decrease 1 Celsius degrees.
- The eruption destroyed two-thirds of the island of Krakatoa.
- Eruptions at the volcano since 1927 have built a new island in the same location, named "Anak Krakatau" (which is Indonesian for "Child of Krakatoa")