Charlemagne's sword, on display.
|Other Names||Sword of Earth|
|Owner(s)||Marethyu (As a part of his hook)|
|Past Owners|| Dr. John Dee
|Date Created||(Unknown) edit|
|Destroyed||Became a part of Marethyu's hook|
|Powers||Can kill almost anything
Corruption (likely) Creation of a Leygate
|Other||One of the Swords of Power|
Historically Joyeuse is most notable for being Charlemagne's personal sword. Several stories about its creation circulate in French folk legends, one of which interestingly claims that Durendal (the twin of Joyeuse) is forged from the same materials as Joyeuse. At some point the sword found its way into Dee's possession.
- Corruption: Prolonged use of the swords can damage the mind of the wielder. Mars Ultor, Mordred, and Cernunnos were corrupted and nearly destroyed by the swords.
- Telepathic Linking: Wounding or killing something with one of the swords of power will allow partial access to the memories and experiences of whatever the sword was connected with.
- Killing: Like the other swords of power, Joyeuse can kill almost anything. Some things (such as Coatlicue) may be immune to its power, however Clarent was capable of killing the Nidhogg.
- Creation of Ley Lines: Together the swords of power are capable of creating ley lines and ley gates. For instance, Dr. John Dee created a portal into Coatlicue's Shadowrealm using the four swords together.
- Joyeuse is the French word for "joyful".
- Joyeuse is the twin of Durendal.